Saturday, April 4, 2015

Coloring Pasta~for kid's crafts

Hello my crafty friends! 
Ok, if your kids are like mine they just LOVE doing crafts for family, especially for grandma!  I was digging through my kid's craft drawer and found some colored noodles I had dyed for my daughter when she was only 4 years old, she is now 13!   My two year old found them and had a great time making collages to give out to everyone at our Easter gathering. After he used them all up I decided I would make up some more but this time, I would make sure and take pictures so I could share the fun with you!
Make sure the room you are working in is very well ventilated!  I did this in my basement and after about 20 minutes I had a nasty headache and needed to get some fresh air!

What you'll need:
-Large bottle of Rubbing Alcohol, (I know you can use white Vinegar also, but they become real brittle so I just stick to alcohol.
-Food coloring
-Pasta of your choice
-glass bowls or bowls you don't want to keep
-spoons

Make sure your area is covered with plastic and have news paper or something down so you can dry your noodles on.
Simply pour the rubbing alcohol into the bowls and drop food coloring until you get the color you like.  Stir them and let them sit for about 5-15 minutes, the longer you wait the deeper the shade.  Then stir again.  After they reach the color you like spoon them out onto news paper or paper towels to dry. 
Then you can add more pasta if you want and change up your colors too!  My older kids liked doing this with me, they liked mixing and making a new color.

They dry fast and the colors will lighten slightly but not much. 
For the kids to use with crafts you just glue them (with liquid glue like Elmer's school glue) to thick construction paper or a heavy card stock.  You can use them as counting shapes or matching colors or shapes, wow, when I think about it, there are lots of projects you could use these for!  How fun!!

I hope you enjoyed today's kids craft project!
Thanks for stopping by!
Cheryl~

No comments:

Post a Comment